Midfield injuries begin to mount
Jurgen Klopp used Wednesday's pre-match press conference, to provide updates on a number of Liverpool players, including two new injury concerns to key midfielders.
Few will argue that the 2022/23 season was a disaster for Liverpool FC, and whilst there were many reasons for our sudden, and dramatic, drop in standards, injuries was one of the most important.
So it's been very pleasing this season, to not only see the team playing well, but also see the squad in good health, with few injuries to worry about. However, that may all be about to change...
During his Wednesday press conference (ahead of the our Europa League trip to Toulouse), Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp, confirmed that as well as the long standing injuries to Thiago, Bajcetic, Bradley and Robertson, three additional squad members will miss the match due to injury and illness.
The new names added to the injury list are Curtis Jones, Ryan Gravenberch and Virgil Van Dijk.
Midfield Injury Crisis On The Way...
So what's the news on Jones, Gravenberch and Van Dijk?
Van Dijk is the least concerning, as he has a virus, and has been omitted from the squad, to allow him time to rest and recover ahead of our weekend game against Brentford. Curtis Jones has a 'minor issue' that kept him out of the Luton Town game last weekend. As the issue has now ruled him out of todays game as well, it might not be quite so 'minor' after all. Finally, Ryan Gravenberch was replaced midway through the second half against Luton Town. At the time it was not described as injury related, but clearly something has happened to force the young Dutchman to miss the Toulouse game.
On the face of it, none of these injuries are too severe, and we should have more than enough quality to see off Toulouse tonight, and secure our passage into the knock-out stages of the Europa League.
However, of more concern is the fact that most of the injured players are midfielders. With Thiago and Bajcetic still a long way from returning to action, any long term injury to Jones or Gravenberch, would leave Klopp with just Endo, Elliott, Mac Allister and Szoboszlai to fill the midfield roles. Those four players have plenty of quality, but with games coming thick and fast over the next few weeks, Klopp will want to rotate his players to keep them fresh.
Hopefully, we will get more positive news over the next few days, and Jones and Gravenberch will be back in action by the weekend...
If you liked the article 'Midfield injuries begin to mount', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 352
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other Injury News articles you might like to read...
- Pep Lijnders provides huge injury updateFebruary 23, 2024The Liverpool Assistant Manager has confirmed that the Reds will be without a number of first-team players until after the International break in March. […]
- When will Liverpool’s injured players returnFebruary 21, 2024Liverpool are in the middle of an injury crisis, with numerous key players set for an extended spell on the sidelines. […]
- Liverpool suffer more injury woesFebruary 17, 2024Despite the excellent performance and result against Brentford yesterday, Jurgen Klopp will have had much to ponder on the long trip north, as three more first-team players suffered injuries. […]
- Liverpool suffer massive injury blowFebruary 16, 2024Jurgen Klopp has revealed that goalkeeper Alisson Becker has suffered a hamstring injury in training, and will not travel with the squad to face Brentford tomorrow. […]
- First team duo back in trainingFebruary 13, 2024Alisson and Joe Gomez both took part in first-team training today, after recovering from a virus that kept them out of last weekend's match with Burnley. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com