Jordan Henderson has used the current International break, to speak about his summer departure from the Reds, accusing the club - and Manager Jurgen Klopp, of treating him unfairly.
Speaking to The Ahtletic, Henderson suggested that he left Liverpool after feeling unwanted by the club. Henderson revealed :
"There were a few things that sent alarm bells ringing. I've got a very good relationship with Jurgen. He was very honest with me"
"I won't go into detail about the conversation because it's private, but it put me in a position where I knew that I wasn't going to be playing as much. I knew there were going to be new players coming into my position."
Henderson clearly feels that as a senior player, and club Captain, he should have been guaranteed a starting position. When it became clear that this wouldn't be the case, he felt that he had no choice but to leave. This is a marked difference from the attitude of players such as Roberto Firmino and James Milner (especially Milner), who accepted their roles in the squad, depsite their own personal wishes, and performed at the highest level when called upon. Henderson clearly did not want to play the role of a squad player, preferring to follow the money to Saudi Arabia, rather than help continue to build on his, and Liverpool's success and legacy.
It's a decision that has backfired so far, with Henderson regularly playing in front of less than a thousand people in Saudi Arabia.
Jurgen Klopp has his say on Henderson
Klopp has previously spoken about Henderson's departure, commenting,
"Hendo told the truth, we talked and I told him there was a possibility of not playing regularly. If hendo would have performed, he'd have played. I thought it was important to talk openly. Hendo is a super guy, but he is not great when he is not playing."
"He was my Captain. I didn't want to lock horms because he thought he would be starting. He took that to mean we didn't want him here. I couldn't tell him he would start and that is why it is better that he moved on."
Klopp has certainly been proven right so far, with Liverpool, and his new look midfield, performing well in all competitions. In contrast, Henderson has failed to set the Saudi Pro League on fire, whilst his recent performances for England have been anything but impressive.
Of course, the season is only a few months old, and Henderson has plenty of time to prove everyone wrong, but it appears that Henderson needed Liverpool, more that Liverpool needed Henderson.
If you liked the article 'Henderson opens up about Reds departure', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 366
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other General News articles you might like to read...
- Liverpool to face Man Utd in FA Cup Quarter FinalsFebruary 28, 2024Liverpool's reward for beating Southampton in the Fifth Round is an away trip to Old Trafford, to face Manchester United in the Quarter-Finals of the Cup. […]
- Liverpool vs Southampton preview: kick-off, team news, TV channelFebruary 27, 2024Liverpool welcomes Championship side Southampton to Anfield on Wednesday night, as the Reds look to progress in the FA Cup. LFC - Back On Our Perch has all the pre-match info you need to enjoy the big game. […]
- Carabao Cup Final player ratingsFebruary 26, 2024Liverpool showed amazing team spirit yesterday to overcome Chelsea in the Carabao Cup Final. But which players proved their worth, and who was our Man of the Match? […]
- Carabao Cup Final post-match quotesFebruary 26, 2024LFC - Back On Our Perch rounds up the best post-match quotes as Liverpool win the Carabao Cup Final for a record 10th time at Wembley. […]
- Cup Final Reaction: Jurgen Klopp press conferenceFebruary 26, 2024Liverpool Boss Jurgen Klopp could not hide his delight and pride after his young team won the Carabao Cup Final yesterday. LFC - Back On Our Perch brings you the best quotes from his post-match press conference. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com