Luis Suarez may have played his last professional game, after leaving Brazilian side Gremio, at the end of Brazil's 2023 season.
The former Red star has been in stunning form for Gremio, scoring 24 goals and providing 17 assists in 52 games. Typically, the striker went out on a high, scoring the only goal of the game, as Gremio defeated Vasco de Gama 1-0. Suarez also Captained the side on his final appearance.
There has been much talk in recent days that Suarez would be joing former teammate - and good friend - Lionel Messi at Inter Miami. That deal may still happen, but speaking after his final Gremio appearance, Suarez appeared to hint at his retirement, saying his body was in pain and he needed to take time to decide on his future.
Suarez said,"I can feel pain, my body is speaking for me. I want to enjoy and then decide for myself after a long career. I need to rest, enjoy my family… then the destiny will know where I'll be in the future."
One of the top goalscorers in history....
Should Suarez decide to hang up his boots, he will do so as one of the top goalscorers of all time. He currently sits in 15th place on the all time top goalscorers list, with 555 goals from 937 matches (club and country).
This incredible tally includes 68 international goals, as well as 82 goals for Liverpool, 198 for Barcelona and 111 for Ajax. Overall, his goals/games ratio is a goal every 1.6 games. When you consider he has been playing for 19 seasons, that is an incredible return.
He also has the honour of finishing as top scorer in 3 different top-flight European Leagues (England, Spain and Holland), a feat that is only matched by Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Christiano Ronaldo.
Whatever the future holds, Suarez will always be considered one of Liverpool's best ever strikers, with 82 goals in 133 games. His tally of 31 goals from 33 Premier League games, nearly single handedly won Liverpool the Title during the 2013-14 season, whilst his partnership with Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling was one of the most deadly strike forces the league has ever seen.
If you liked the article 'Former Red Luis Suarez set for retirement', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 352
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other General News articles you might like to read...
- Liverpool vs Chelsea preview: kick-off, team news, TV channelFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool and Chelsea meet at Wembley in the Carabao Cup Final on Sunday. LFC - Back On Our Perch has all the pre-match info you need to enjoy the big game. […]
- Jurgen Klopp’s managerial record vs Mauricio PochettinoFebruary 24, 2024Jurgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino will once again lock horns in Sunday's Carabao Cup Final. How has the Reds' boss fared against his Argentinian counterpart? […]
- Liverpool learn Europa League Last 16 opponentsFebruary 23, 2024The draw for the Europa League Round of 16 has taken place this morning in Nyon, Switzerland, with Liverpool drawing Sparta Prague. […]
- Jurgen Klopp gives injury update during press conferenceFebruary 20, 2024As expected, Jurgen Klopp used today's pre-match press conference to provide updates on the club's numerous injured players, including Alisson, Jota, Jones and Alexander-Arnold. […]
- Six games that will decide this season’s title raceFebruary 20, 2024The 2023/24 season is reaching an exciting climax, with four teams still in the hunt for the title. We take a look at six upcoming games that will decide this season's title race. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com