Liverpool secured a hard fought victory over a resilient Sheffield United, to remain second in the League, two points behind leaders Arsenal.
Despite a much improved performance from the Blades, Liverpool had too much quality for their opponents, and controlled possession throughout most of the contest. Indeed, had it not been for some excellent shot stopping from home keeper Foderingham, Liverpool could have had four or five goals.
As it was, a goal in each half, first from Van Dijk on 37 minutes, and then one from Szoboszlai in the 4th minute of injury time, was enough to secure all three points for Liverpool, and keep up the pressure on Arsenal, who had won away at Luton Town the night before. The result became even more important 30 minutes after the full time whistle, when Manchester City (whose game kicked off half an hour after our game) suffered a defeat at the hands of Aston Villa, meaning Liverpool now haved a four point cushion over the blues.
Sheffield United 24% - 76% Liverpool
Sheffield United 6 - 15 Liverpool
Shots on Target
Sheffield United 1 - 8 Liverpool
Sheffield United 2 - 12 Liverpool
What they said....
Jurgen Klopp :
"It was a very mature and resilient performance. We didn't let the atmosphere really happen. I think everyone was really ready to go for it and we calmed that down. The first goal was a great goal and the second goal was outstanding - we would have loved to have ended it earlier but we take the three points and keep going."
Chris Wilder (Sheffield United Manager) :
"First and foremost I asked for a performance and I definitely got that but I'm disappointed we haven't got a result."
When asked about his reception,
"It will stay with me forever, that. I enjoyed watching a Sheffield United performance tonight and the reception they gave me was incredible."
If you liked the article 'Liverpool beat Sheffield United to stay second', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 353
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other Line Up and Match Reports you might like to read...
- Liverpool fight back to beat Luton TownFebruary 21, 2024Despite missing 10 first-team players, Liverpool produced a stunning second-half performance to defeat Luton Town at Anfield, and regain their lead at the top of the table. […]
- Liverpool vs Luton confirmed line-upsFebruary 21, 2024Jurgen Klopp has been forced into making five changes for tonight's game against Luton Town at Anfield, with ten first-team players unavailable through injury. […]
- Liverpool stay top with big win over BrentfordFebruary 17, 2024The Reds produced an excellent performance to record a first victory over Brentford at the Gtech Stadium, but injuries threaten to dampen the weekend. […]
- Brentford vs Liverpool confirmed lineupsFebruary 17, 2024Jurgen Klopp has been forced into several changes for today's game, with Alisson, Alexander-Arnold , and Szoboszlai all out injured. […]
- Reds back on top after Burnley victoryFebruary 11, 2024Jurgen Klopp praised Liverpool's 'gritty' display, after they earned a hard-fought 3 - 1 victory over Burnley, to move back to the top of the Premier League. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com