Liverpool, like many other clubs, used the summer transfer window to send a number of promising young players on loan. One such player was Rhys Williams, who moved to Aberdeen on a season long loan deal. Sadly, things north of the border have not worked out for the youngster, with Liverpool deciding to cancel the loan half way through the season.
Williams, who has been with Liverpool since joining the Under-10's, has made 19 appearances for Jurgen Klopp's Reds. Most of those came in the 2020/21 season, when injuries to Matip and Van Dijk left Liverpool with few options at centreback. Williams and Nat Phillips filled in admirably at the back end of the season, as Liverpool somehow won their last five matches to secure third place, and a Champions League place.
Since then, Williams has signed a long term contract with the Reds, and been out on loan with Swansea City (5 appearances) and Blackpool (17 appearances).
Aberdeen loan a failure, so what now....
At 22 years of age, Williams needs to be playing first team football, and Aberdeen looked like the ideal place for the youngster to hone his skills. The Dons (as they are known), finished third in the Scottish Premiership last season, and have European experience. Klopp and his coaching team would have been expecting Williams to become a regular part of the Dons first team, gaining plenty of experience, and returning to Liverpool ready to push for a first team place. Sadly, that is not how things panned out.
Williams failed to make a single first team appearance at Aberdeen, and seems to have failed to make any sort of impression on Manager Barry Robson, or his coaching staff, during the six months he was there. That will undoubtedly worry Jurgen Klopp, who must now decide what is best for the youngsters future career.
In the short-term, another loan deal seems likely, though Liverpool will be keen to ensure that such a move guarantees regular first team football. Longer term, Williams future may well lie away from Anfield. Van Dijk and Konate are the established first choice centre backs at Anfield, with Gomez and youngster Jarrell Quansah filling in this season. Joel Matip still has a future with the Reds, if he can recover from his ACL injury, so it seems unlikely that Williams will force his way into the first team picture.
Check back with LFC - Back On Our Perch, for all the latest transfer developments as the January trasnfer window gets into full swing.
If you liked the article 'Rhys Williams loan cancelled', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 352
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other Transfer News you might like to read...
- Mbappe agrees five-year Madrid dealFebruary 20, 2024French superstar Kylian Mbappe has finally ended months of speculation about his future, by agreeing to join Real Madrid in a five-year deal with £200million. […]
- Thiago and Adrian to leave in the summerFebruary 9, 2024Liverpool are likely to lose two Spanish players in the summer, with both Thiago Alcantara and Adrian out of contract, and LFC unlikely to offer either player a new deal. […]
- Steven Gerrard extends contract with Al EttifaqJanuary 19, 2024Despite coming under pressure after a poor run of results, Liverpool legend, Steven Gerrard, has signed a new contract with Al Ettifaq, keeping him at the club until 2027. […]
- Henderson exits Saudi Arabia after six monthsJanuary 19, 2024Former Liverpool Captain, Jordan Henderson, has ended his time in Saudi Arabia after just six months, by sealing a move to Dutch giants Ajax. […]
- Rhys Williams seals loan moveJanuary 18, 2024The young centre back will go out on load for the second time this season, in a bid to gain more first team experience, and aid his push for a place in the Reds first team squad. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com