Liverpool have suffered a number of injuries of late, with both first and second choice left backs, Andy Robertson and Kostas Tsimikas, facing spells on the sidelines.
Robertson has been missing for several months, since dislocating his shoulder, whilst playing for Scotland, while Tsimikas broke his collarbone in the game against Arsenal two weeks ago. That has seen Jurgen Klopp use Joe Gomez as left back - a role the player is not unfamiliar with. The problem with Gomez playing at left back, is that it leaves us short of cover in other areas of the defence.
Joel Matip is out for the season with an ACL injury, meaning we have only Van Dijk, Konate and Quansah available at centre back. Alexander-Arnold is the undisputed first choice right back, but there is little in the way of cover should he get injured. Gomez would be the natural choice, but as he is already filling in at left back, he cannot play in two places at once....
That has led many to speculate that Klopp and his scouts would use the January transfer window to add a new left back to the squad, even if it is only on a short term loan. However, developments over the last 48 hours suggest that Klopp may have other ideas.
Owen Beck recalled early....
It's no secret, that many of the loans that Liverpool arranged in the summer, have failed spectacularly. Fabio Carvalho has seen his loan at RB Liepzig cancelled after just 1 start, while Rhys Williams has today been recalled from Aberdeen, after failing to make a single appearance.
So it was somewhat of a surprise, when Liverpool confirmed that youngster Owen Beck, had been recalled from his loan at Dundee. Unlike Carvalho and Williams, Beck has seen plenty of first team action, making 20 appearances in all competitions, and earning positive reviews for his performances.
The only logical conclusion to the decision, is that Klopp intends to use Beck to bolster his left back options. Liverpool already has another young left back in the first team squad, in Luke Chambers. Chambers has seen plenty of minutes this season in the Carabao Cup and Europa League, but Klopp has been reluctant to use him in more important games. After hearing of Beck's success in Scotland, it looks like Klopp has decided that Beck's extra age and experience would be preferential, should he need to rest or rotate Gomez away from left back.
Only time will tell if Beck gets a chance in the Liverpool first team, but it is a clear sign of the faith Klopp and his coaches have in him, to have recalled him from a successful loan spell.
If you liked the article 'Liverpool make left back decision, then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 348
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other Transfer News you might like to read...
- Mbappe agrees five-year Madrid dealFebruary 20, 2024French superstar Kylian Mbappe has finally ended months of speculation about his future, by agreeing to join Real Madrid in a five-year deal with £200million. […]
- Thiago and Adrian to leave in the summerFebruary 9, 2024Liverpool are likely to lose two Spanish players in the summer, with both Thiago Alcantara and Adrian out of contract, and LFC unlikely to offer either player a new deal. […]
- Steven Gerrard extends contract with Al EttifaqJanuary 19, 2024Despite coming under pressure after a poor run of results, Liverpool legend, Steven Gerrard, has signed a new contract with Al Ettifaq, keeping him at the club until 2027. […]
- Henderson exits Saudi Arabia after six monthsJanuary 19, 2024Former Liverpool Captain, Jordan Henderson, has ended his time in Saudi Arabia after just six months, by sealing a move to Dutch giants Ajax. […]
- Rhys Williams seals loan moveJanuary 18, 2024The young centre back will go out on load for the second time this season, in a bid to gain more first team experience, and aid his push for a place in the Reds first team squad. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com