Liverpool already have the world's best goalkeeper in Alisson Becker, but it is another Brazilian goalie who is grabbing the headlines today, after youngster Marcelo Pitaluga signed a new long-term contract at Anfield, before finalising a deal to move to St. Pats Athletic on loan.
Pitaluga moved to Anfield in October 2020, when Liverpool payed a reported £1million, to secure his services from Fluminense. Despite never making a first team appearance in Brazil, Pitaluga was highly regarded, both at Fluminense, and as a 'great prospect' for Brazilian football.
Liverpool's current no.1, Alisson, even got to work with Pitaluga before he joined LFC, when he returned to his homeland to spend time with his brother, Muriel, who is the goalkeeper at Fluminense. There can be little doubt that Klopp and his team will have asked for Alisson's opinion before signing Pitaluga, so the fact the transfer went ahead, suggests Alisson was suitably impressed.
Pitaluga has been named in the first team squad on seven occasions, but has yet to make his first team debut.
A chance to shine in Ireland...
After announcing the young keeper's new deal, Liverpool also confirmed that he will be heading to the Irish Premier Division, to join up with St. Pats Athletic. Liverpool and Pitaluga will be hoping that the deal gives the youngster plenty of first team football.
It's not the first time Liverpool have sent a young keeper to St Pats. Back in 2021, another of our young keepers, Vitezslav Jaros, enjoyed a highly productive loan spell, making 34 appearances in all competitions. Since that initial loan, Jaros has gone on to enjoy loans at Notts County and Stockport County, and has represented the Czech Republic at Under-21's five times.
Liverpool will be hoping that Pitaluga's career enjoys a similar upward trajectory, starting with the loan spell in Ireland.
Who at St. Patricks Athletic?
Based in Dublin, St Patricks Athletic are one of Irelands most successful clubs. Formed in May 1929, they have won nine League Titles, five FAI Cups and four League Cups. St Pat's play at Richmond Park, which has a capacity of just under 5,500.
If you liked the article 'Pitaluga signs new deal before heading out on loan', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 352
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other Transfer News you might like to read...
- Mbappe agrees five-year Madrid dealFebruary 20, 2024French superstar Kylian Mbappe has finally ended months of speculation about his future, by agreeing to join Real Madrid in a five-year deal with £200million. […]
- Thiago and Adrian to leave in the summerFebruary 9, 2024Liverpool are likely to lose two Spanish players in the summer, with both Thiago Alcantara and Adrian out of contract, and LFC unlikely to offer either player a new deal. […]
- Steven Gerrard extends contract with Al EttifaqJanuary 19, 2024Despite coming under pressure after a poor run of results, Liverpool legend, Steven Gerrard, has signed a new contract with Al Ettifaq, keeping him at the club until 2027. […]
- Henderson exits Saudi Arabia after six monthsJanuary 19, 2024Former Liverpool Captain, Jordan Henderson, has ended his time in Saudi Arabia after just six months, by sealing a move to Dutch giants Ajax. […]
- Rhys Williams seals loan moveJanuary 18, 2024The young centre back will go out on load for the second time this season, in a bid to gain more first team experience, and aid his push for a place in the Reds first team squad. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com