Nearly a year after the Premier League charged Manchester City, with over one hundren breaches of financial rules, dating from 2009 to 2018, a date has finally been set for the case to be heard.
Speaking today in front of a select committee of MP's, Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Masters, said that although a date for the hearing had been agreed, he was unable to provide further details at the present time.
Whilst news of a date for the hearing is positive, the secretive nature, and drawn out timescale of the whole affair, leaves a lot of unanswered questions. It is also in stark contrast to the swift penalty handed out to Everton earlier in the season, for their own breaches of financial rules. Having been referred to an independent commission in March 2023, the Toffees were deducted 10 points in November 2023, just 7 months later. Even when we find out when the hearing into Manchester City will take place, it's likely that the proceedings will take several months, with any penalties applied after that.
Just what those penalties are - assuming that City are found guilty - is a matter of debate between fans and pundits, with many argueing that the sheer number and seriousness of the charges, mean that City should be stripped of their titles during the years in question.
Richard Masters quote in full....
"I can [understand] but they are very different charges."
"If any club, the current champions or otherwise, had been found in breach of the spending rules, they would be in exactly the same position as Everton or Nottingham Forest."
"But the volume and character of the charges laid before Manchester City, which I obviously cannot talk about at all, are being heard in a completely different environment."
"There is a date set for that proceeding. Unfortunately, I can't tell you when that is but it is progressing."
LFC - Back on Our Perch will bring you all the latest developments regarding Machester City, and their 'alleged' financial breaches in the coming weeks....
If you liked the article 'Date set for Man City hearing', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 353
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other General News articles you might like to read...
- Liverpool vs Chelsea preview: kick-off, team news, TV channelFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool and Chelsea meet at Wembley in the Carabao Cup Final on Sunday. LFC - Back On Our Perch has all the pre-match info you need to enjoy the big game. […]
- Jurgen Klopp’s managerial record vs Mauricio PochettinoFebruary 24, 2024Jurgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino will once again lock horns in Sunday's Carabao Cup Final. How has the Reds' boss fared against his Argentinian counterpart? […]
- Liverpool learn Europa League Last 16 opponentsFebruary 23, 2024The draw for the Europa League Round of 16 has taken place this morning in Nyon, Switzerland, with Liverpool drawing Sparta Prague. […]
- Jurgen Klopp gives injury update during press conferenceFebruary 20, 2024As expected, Jurgen Klopp used today's pre-match press conference to provide updates on the club's numerous injured players, including Alisson, Jota, Jones and Alexander-Arnold. […]
- Six games that will decide this season’s title raceFebruary 20, 2024The 2023/24 season is reaching an exciting climax, with four teams still in the hunt for the title. We take a look at six upcoming games that will decide this season's title race. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com