Much like the Premier League, the Africa Cup of Nations is delivering plenty of late goals and drama, with Egypt and Ghana involved in a nail biting finish to see who would qualify from Group B.
Egypt, already without the injured Salah, knew that defeat against Cape Verde, who had already won the group, would end their campaign, whilst Ghana, who twice threw away leads against Egypt in the last game, knew they needed a win to stand any chance of progressing.
As the games progressed, it looked like Ghana who would triumph, after taking a comfortable two-nil lead against Mozambique. Egpyt on the other hand, trailed at half time, before equalising at the start of the second half. As the games wore on, the tension increased, but nobody could have foreseen just how much drama would unfold in the final minutes of both games.
In the Egypt match, a 93rd minute goal from Abdalla, looked to have given the Pharaohs the victory they needed, only for Capte Verde to equalise in the 99th minute! The Egyptian players, including Salah - who was watching from the stands, went from ectasy to agony, as they thought they had thrown away their chance of progressing. However, despite being a great position to qualify, Ghana somehow conceeded two late goals, both in stoppage time, to draw with Mozambique, and give Egypt second spot in Group B.
The crazy turn of events means Egypt qualify as the second place team, and will now face the second-place finisher in Group F. This is currently DR Congo, but any of the four teams in the group could still finish second. The match will take place on Sunday at 8pm (GMT).
Joy for Egypt, but Salah injury worse than first thought...
The whole of Egypt will be celebrating this morning, but there is also bad news, both for Egypt and Liverpool, as it has been confirmed that Mo Salah's injury is worse than first thought.
Salah was forced off late in the first half against Ghana, and was expected to be out for about 10 days. However, it has since been revealed that the injury is worse than first thought, with Salah returning to England for specialist treatment with the Liverpool medical team.
Speaking after the Cape Verde match, Egypt's Manager confirmed that Salah will miss between 21 and 28 days, meaning he will probably miss the rest of the tournament, even if Egypt manage to progress through the knock-out rounds.
This is also terrible news for Liverpool, as it means that Salah will miss a number of crucial games in the Premier League, Carabao Cup and FA Cup over the coming weeks.
Check back with LFC - Back On Our Perch in the coming days for more news of Salah's injury.
If you liked the article 'Egypt qualify despite late drama', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 353
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other General News articles you might like to read...
- Liverpool vs Chelsea preview: kick-off, team news, TV channelFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool and Chelsea meet at Wembley in the Carabao Cup Final on Sunday. LFC - Back On Our Perch has all the pre-match info you need to enjoy the big game. […]
- Jurgen Klopp’s managerial record vs Mauricio PochettinoFebruary 24, 2024Jurgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino will once again lock horns in Sunday's Carabao Cup Final. How has the Reds' boss fared against his Argentinian counterpart? […]
- Liverpool learn Europa League Last 16 opponentsFebruary 23, 2024The draw for the Europa League Round of 16 has taken place this morning in Nyon, Switzerland, with Liverpool drawing Sparta Prague. […]
- Jurgen Klopp gives injury update during press conferenceFebruary 20, 2024As expected, Jurgen Klopp used today's pre-match press conference to provide updates on the club's numerous injured players, including Alisson, Jota, Jones and Alexander-Arnold. […]
- Six games that will decide this season’s title raceFebruary 20, 2024The 2023/24 season is reaching an exciting climax, with four teams still in the hunt for the title. We take a look at six upcoming games that will decide this season's title race. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com