Liverpool's Spanish midfielder, Thiago Alcantara, is facing another lengthy spell on the sidelines, after suffering a recurrence of the muscle issue that has sidelined him for most of the season.
Thiago made his first appearance of the season last Sunday, in Liverpool's 3 - 1 defeat to Arsenal. Thiago came on as a late substitute, but according to reports in today's Telegraph, the veteran midfielder suffered a new problem just 5 minutes into his return.
Although there has been no official announcement yet, about the severity of the issue, various injury tracking websites are already showing Thiago as injured, with no date set for his return. Indeed, this new problem raises the possibility that Thiago may have played his last game for the Reds, as his contract will expire in the summer. Given his ongoing injury problems, Liverpool are unlikely to offer Thiago a new contract, despite his wealth of experience and technical ability. Instead, the club will look to save his reported £200,000 a week salary, to use on new players, or for other contract renewals that are deemed more important, such Mo Salah, Trent Alexander-Arnold, and Virgil Van Dijk.
Jurgen Klopp will be giving his pre-match press conference tomorrow, ahead of Liverpool's home match against Burnley, so more details regarding Thiago's injury may be provided then.
Thiago's time at Liverpool
Thiago moved to Liverpool from Bayern Munich in September 2020, and was seen as the final piece of the midfield jigsaw, that would help keep Liverpool challenging for the top honours.
Sadly, his time at Anfield has been blighted by injury, with the player missing large chunks of each season that he has been at the club.
His latest major injury came in May 2023. Described as a muscle issue affecting his hip, pelvis, and back, Thiago missed a staggering 284 days of action, before returning against Arsenal on the 4th February 2024.
2020 - 21 Season - 30 appearances / 1 goal
2021 - 22 Season - 39 appearances / 2 goals
2022 - 23 Season - 28 appearances / 0 goals
2023 - 24 Season - 1 appearance / 0 goals
If you liked the article 'Thiago suffers fresh injury setback', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 352
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other Injury News articles you might like to read...
- Pep Lijnders provides huge injury updateFebruary 23, 2024The Liverpool Assistant Manager has confirmed that the Reds will be without a number of first-team players until after the International break in March. […]
- When will Liverpool’s injured players returnFebruary 21, 2024Liverpool are in the middle of an injury crisis, with numerous key players set for an extended spell on the sidelines. […]
- Liverpool suffer more injury woesFebruary 17, 2024Despite the excellent performance and result against Brentford yesterday, Jurgen Klopp will have had much to ponder on the long trip north, as three more first-team players suffered injuries. […]
- Liverpool suffer massive injury blowFebruary 16, 2024Jurgen Klopp has revealed that goalkeeper Alisson Becker has suffered a hamstring injury in training, and will not travel with the squad to face Brentford tomorrow. […]
- First team duo back in trainingFebruary 13, 2024Alisson and Joe Gomez both took part in first-team training today, after recovering from a virus that kept them out of last weekend's match with Burnley. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com