The footballing world was shocked and saddened in January, when former England Manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, announced that he had 'best case a year to live', after confirming he had been diagnosed with cancer.
In a wide-ranging interview, the Swedish coach admitted his love of Liverpool (a love he shares with his father), and how his dream had always been to manage at Anfield. That dream never became a reality, despite him managing many high-profile clubs, as well as the English National Team. Thanks to numerous Liverpool Fan Groups, however, Eriksson will now get to fulfill his wish, as he will take to the dugout in the upcoming Liverpool Legends Match.
The match will take place on 23rd March 2024, at Anfield, as Liverpool Legends take on Ajax Legends, in a charity match raising funds for the LFC Foundation.
Upon hearing Eriksson's news, and his love of Liverpool FC, LFC Fan Groups began a campaign for Eriksson to manage the Liverpool team in the upcoming charity match. Speaking to BBC Radio Merseyside, Dan Clubbe of The Redmen TV, said the campaign showed how football fans "can unite in times of hardship". The idea was then championed by former Reds striker (and Liverpool Legend), Robbie Fowler, who took to X, to say that calls were being made.
Those calls have now been heard, and Eriksson will line-up alongside Ian Rush, John Barnes and John Aldridge as part of the Liverpool management team. The Liverpool Legends matches are always great fun, but seeing Eriksson fullfill his boyhood ambition, will make this particular game extra special and poignant. We are in no doubt that the Liverpool and Ajax fans will make sure Erikkson is given the reception he deserves, and makes the day memorable for all his family.
Klopp extends offer to Eriksson
As well as the Legends match, current Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp has also offered Eriksson the chance to visit Anfield and spend a day with him. In a gesture that sums up Klopp's big hearted nature and approach to life, he made the following statement when interviewed by the BBC,
"I heard for the first time about his admiration or love for Liverpool and that he was a fan for his whole life."
"I heard now about the Legends [game] and stuff like that. I'm not in charge of that. The only thing I can say is absolutely he's very welcome to come here and he can sit in my seat in my office and do my job for a day if he wants. That's no problem."
"Being on the sideline might be a little bit more difficult. To have him here and show him everything and how this wonderful club developed over the years, I think that's definitely something we will tell him."
"He can come over and have a few wonderful hours here, I'm sure."
LFC - Back On Our Perch will bring you more details of the upcoming Legends match, and Eriksson's involvement, as and when we have them.
If you liked the article 'Sven-Goran Eriksson to manage Liverpool Legends', then please like and share this page with your friends, or leave a comment below.
For all the latest Liverpool FC news - visit our dedicated news page, where you'll find breaking news, match reports, transfer gossip, injury news and much more.
Looking to earn some extra money? Earn cash online by completing surveys, testing products and playing mobile games with Swagbucks. Sign up for Free and start Earning today!
#LFC #Liverpool #LiverpoolFC #YNWA #TheReds #LFCBackOnOurPerch #Anfield #Football
... About The Author ...
Peter Farrell - Editor and Chief Article Writer, LFC - Back On Our Perch
Articles written by Author :: 353
Lifelong fan with a passion for all things Liverpool. First memory of football is watching John Barnes score a dramatic last minute equaliser in the FA Cup when he was 4. Feels lucky to be a part of the 'Klopp' era.
Other General News articles you might like to read...
- Liverpool vs Chelsea preview: kick-off, team news, TV channelFebruary 24, 2024Liverpool and Chelsea meet at Wembley in the Carabao Cup Final on Sunday. LFC - Back On Our Perch has all the pre-match info you need to enjoy the big game. […]
- Jurgen Klopp’s managerial record vs Mauricio PochettinoFebruary 24, 2024Jurgen Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino will once again lock horns in Sunday's Carabao Cup Final. How has the Reds' boss fared against his Argentinian counterpart? […]
- Liverpool learn Europa League Last 16 opponentsFebruary 23, 2024The draw for the Europa League Round of 16 has taken place this morning in Nyon, Switzerland, with Liverpool drawing Sparta Prague. […]
- Jurgen Klopp gives injury update during press conferenceFebruary 20, 2024As expected, Jurgen Klopp used today's pre-match press conference to provide updates on the club's numerous injured players, including Alisson, Jota, Jones and Alexander-Arnold. […]
- Six games that will decide this season’s title raceFebruary 20, 2024The 2023/24 season is reaching an exciting climax, with four teams still in the hunt for the title. We take a look at six upcoming games that will decide this season's title race. […]
Affiliate Links & Disclaimer
This post may contains affiliate links, meaning, we promote products or services on external websites that we have used or know well and may receive a commission if you purchase them too (at no additional cost to you). This helps keep LFC - Back On Our Perch free to use. Our editorial decision making is not affected by the inclusion of such links.
*Please note that LFC - Back On Our Perch is a fan site and is not linked in any way to Liverpool FC. For the official Liverpool FC website please visit liverpoolfc.com